FIRST PAGE RECIPE ON HOW TO MAKE TOP NOTCH -DOLMA-
(PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS BASED ONE’S EXPERIENCE, THE QUANTIY, AMOUNT OR VEGETABLE SELECTION ALL VARIES BASED ON YOUR OWN DESIRES)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE STUFFING: GRAB A LARGE BUCKET AND MIX THE FOLLOWING THOROUGHLY:
– 3 cups of rice(cleaned and moistened with water)
– 3lbs of ground beef or regular beef cut in form of little cubes
– 3-4 cans of tomato paste(or cut fresh tomatoes)
– 3 chopped onions
– 1 ½ chopped heads of garlic
– 4 tablespoon of salt
– Salt and black pepper is sufficient, however for an EXTRA kick, mix two tablespoons of Baharrat/mid-eastern spice
– 1 tablespoon of Semaghh seasoning
– 1 tablespoon of citric acid(or lemon douzi)
VEGETABLES USED FOR FILLING (ALTHOUGH YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN)
– Bag of grape leaves (you can pick these from your neighbors or a nearby park or buy from local market
– 7-8 onions cut so they are in full circle for stuffing
– 2-3 Cubanelles Pepper (stuffed or not)
– 2-4 Eggplants (engraved then fried) before filling
– 2-4 Zucchini (engraved then fried) before filling
ONCE DONE WITH STUFFING, THESE FINAL STEPS ARE CRITICAL!
– 2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot your cooking with
– Place chard leaves (optional) at bottom of the pot
– Place ribs lightly salted (optional) at bottom of the pot
THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO ADD ALL YOUR STUFFED VEGTABLES FOLLOWED BY ALL YOUR STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES
NOW THAT YOU HAVE THE ENTIRE POT FILLED ADD:
– 1 cup of lemon juice or table spoon of lemon douzi(for those who like it sour)
– 2 cups of water
– 1 tablespoon of salt then close LID.
COOK FOR 1.5 HOURS DEPENDING HOW HARD YOU WANT IT COOKED. LESS TIME COOKING WILL GIVE YOU THE JUICY AFFECT, OR THE LONGER YOU COOK IT WILL GIVE YOU THE HARDENED AFFECT.
For those who are more visual, I have attached a YouTube video!
Please do not hesitate to ask us more questions throughout your journey!
We would also appreciate any feedback on your experience.